best workflow with git ?

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: best workflow with git ?
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 00:04:06 +0900

I'm not used to git and I see that I'm not doing the right thing locally. I'd
like to know the workflow that would work the best for what I'm doing.

I got the repository from Savannah and each time I want to update it I do a
"git pull origin master". If I have worked on some files before that I usually
get a message asking me to commit my files otherwise they'd be overwritten.
Since I'm not pushing anything to Savannah I feel that committing to the local
Master is useless and will only create discrepancies between my repository and
Savannah.

What should I do ? Create a branch where I do all my modifications ? And then
do a git diff to create a patch that I send here ? When the patch has been
applied, what should I do with the branch and the modified files ?

It looks like there is something I'm not getting right and I'd like to know
what it is. Thank you in advance.

Jean-Christophe