Re: Should records be able to mimic primitive types?

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: Should records be able to mimic primitive types?
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 15:07:16 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> schrieb am Sa., 10. Juni 2017 um 14:44 Uhr:
> From: Philipp Stephani <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:39:40 +0000
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> schrieb am Mo., 1. Mai 2017 um 14:03 Uhr:
>
>  we only bother to
>  try and detect those that are serious (e.g. could cause a memory
>  corruption) or frequent/common.
>
> As said in another thread, I disagree with that principle.

It's okay to disagree, but these have been the principles underlying
Emacs development since about forever, so please try to be consistent
with them as long as they are followed.  I don't think a case for
making Emacs Lisp a more restricted development environment than it is
now will gain many supporters.  E.g., even the move to make characters
a special data type separate from integers, something the XEmacs
actually did, was rejected by Emacs.

That's not my intention. What I have in mind is to raise more signals in cases where users use Emacs functions incorrectly instead of employing unspecified behavior.