Re: goto-char doesn't stick

From: Elias Mårtenson
Subject: Re: goto-char doesn't stick
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 19:09:45 +0800

On 14 Jun 2017 13:01, "Yuri Khan" <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Elias Mårtenson <address@hidden> wrote:

> Correct. I want to change the position of point in a different buffer.

There is no such thing as “position of point in a different buffer”.

Or, rather, there is, but there is not one. For every window that is
showing the buffer, there is that window’s own position of point. But
if a buffer is not shown in any buffer, then it still has one position
of point.

Therefore, if you are trying to change the position of point in a
different buffer that is shown in a window, do it by selecting that
window, not by switching to that buffer in your window.

Point taken, but this clearly worked at some time in the past, since SLIME does it, and assumes that it will work.

The way SLIME implements navigation is that it uses the mechanism outlined above and later switches to the buffer (using pop-to-buffer or some other mechanism depending on various parameters that I haven't fully figured out). At some point in the past, this worked, and I'd like to know why it stopped working.

If the current behaviour is correct, then I need to figure out how to fix SLIME so I can send them a patch.

Regards,
Elias