Re: goto-char doesn't stick

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: goto-char doesn't stick
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 14:55:30 +0200

> Maybe we should provide set-preserved-window-point? Or
> set-user-visible-point which would set all of point, window-point, and
> preserved window-point (although I'm not sure how to deal with the
> multi-window case cleanly)?

This bug is yet another consequence of using ‘switch-to-buffer’ in Elisp
code.  Years back I failed miserably curing that, see

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-07/msg00306.html

and

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-09/msg00020.html

My advice is the same as ever: Always use ‘pop-to-buffer-same-window’
in Elisp code instead.

Masochistically yours, martin