Re: goto-char doesn't stick

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: goto-char doesn't stick
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 22:25:20 +0300

> From: Elias MÃ¥rtenson <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 03:10:28 +0800
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>,
>       Noam Postavsky <address@hidden>
>
>  Right, I think it used to work only in very simple situations, and
>  definitely not when the same buffer is displayed at different
>  positions in several windows.
>
> Am I to assume that this is not something that is expected to work reliably?

It's hard to answer without knowing what "this" is.  If you mean code
that first moves point in an undisplayed buffer and then switches to
that buffer in the selected window expecting to see point in the
location to which it was moved, then no, you cannot expect this to
work reliably.  (Previously, this would AFAIR luckily work only if you
didn't have the same buffer shown in any other window.)

> In that case SLIME needs to be changed in a more significant way
> than I had expected. For reference, I reported this on the SLIME bug
> tracker: https://github.com/slime/slime/issues/391

I think the solution you suggest there is the right one, it should
have been taken long ago.