Re: init_system_name fqdn?

From: Ken Olum
Subject: Re: init_system_name fqdn?
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 18:30:32 -0400

   From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
   Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 21:51:11 +0200

   Or we could do what every other program that exists now does, and accept
   that there now is no way of programmatically guessing what the email
   address is and just ask the user (if the user wants to send an email).

Not quite every program.  Mailx and its successor s-nail work without my
needing to specify any from address.  In my case they guess right, but I
don't know what procedure they use.  Perhaps it is not such a good idea.

Emacs could get your address from git, but what if you don't use git?
Presumably there are many other programs that might have some knowledge
of your email address also.  Which set should we use?

Emacs currently accepts the environment variable EMAIL.  It's not very
standard but a few other programs (e.g., Mutt) use it also.  It would be
good to keep that at least (and it will be convenient if you report lots
of bugs with emacs -Q).

                                        Ken