Re: Touch events

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Touch events
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 00:22:48 +0100

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 07:00:09PM +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On 2017-06-24 04:53, Alan Third wrote:
> >> I wanted to know if I’m going about this the right way, or if it’s
> >> even worth my while continuing.
> >
> > I don't know about the first part. But for the second one: yes!
>
> Let me concur (on both of those points).  I'd love to get proper support
> for touch events in Emacs.  For my touchey devices I currently have to
> use a brittle series of external programs to translate touch events to
> stuff Emacs can understand, and that's all rather boring.

Currently I’m only implementing the basic multitouch gestures that all
the systems seem to share:

  - scroll/pan
  - swipe
  - pinch
  - rotate

I could pass on *all* touch events, not just gestures, but I’m worried
it will result in a deluge of ‘<touch-event> is undefined’ messages
whenever the touchpad/touchscreen is used. Passing on all touch events
might be what’s needed to work up a touch version of strokes.el,
though.

(I think swipe may be a touch‐screen only thing as I can’t get it to
work using my touchpad, it just seems to result in scrolling. Or maybe
it’s just not what I think it is.)

--
Alan Third