Re: lm-verify, long copyright line

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: lm-verify, long copyright line
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 13:45:14 -0700

Stefan Monnier wrote:
I'd still much prefer the continuation lines to be indented.

I looked into do that, and it's a bit of a pain. Mike's patch is not quite right, since it causes update-copyright to generate lines like this:

-   Copyright (C) 2002, 2004-2007, 2009-2017 Free Software Foundation,
-     Inc.

instead of like this:

+   Copyright (C) 2002, 2004-2007, 2009-2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

I guess because update-copyright mistakenly counts the continuation indent as being part of the previous line when deciding whether to wrap. No doubt this could be fixed, but there's a worse problem: the patch affects all files, even those shared with Gnulib where it's better to avoid spurious changes. I suppose we could start maintaining a list of the dozens of files imported from Gnulib and/or elsewhere (currently we do not have such a list) and having update-copyright skip files in that list, but this sounds like quite a bit of hassle merely to support a preferred style of indentation for copyright notices.