Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b0042b7: Make CC Mode load cl-lib rather than c

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b0042b7: Make CC Mode load cl-lib rather than cl in Emacs 26.
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 20:30:46 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 15:58:27 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > When a package relies on another package which is not part of the user's
> > Emacs, that forces that user either to search for and download that
> > other package, or to give up using the first package.  Both options are
> > likely to cause irritation and anger.

> As you know, there are other options.  E.g. to distribute that other
> package (cl-lib) along with yours.  Or to distribute your package via
> a system which will take care of "search for and download" (e.g. ELPA).

The first would cause irritation to the user.  The second is simply not
the way CC Mode is distributed.

> Bundling cl-lib with your "manually installed" cc-mode package should be
> pretty easy.  I'd be all too happy to help you with it, if that can sway you.

Talk about taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

> > Yes.  One way to reduce this burden would be to make the traditional
> > names of these functions, without the "cl-" prefix, of equal status to
> > those with the prefix.

> Ah, yes, that discussion.  It's hard to please everyone.

No, not really.  Leaving the traditional names in place, producing no
compiler warnings, would have pleased more than what was done.

> I personally do not care to solve this 3-letter "problem", all that
> mattered to me was to have access to all of CL at runtime (and maybe
> even preloaded at some point in the future).

That is clear.  Other things, such as the consistency and compatibility
of function names, mattered to other people.

> To me, it's an example where emacs-devel managed to negotiate a fairly
> good compromise.

Funnily enough, I don't remember any negotiation, or even discussion
about the matter on emacs-devel before this change happened.  The extra
macros in CC Mode are one of the consequences.  I would really rather
not have had to spend time on this.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).