Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 05:30:13 -0400

  > Yes. The copyright assignment process says "I assign copyright for
  > Emacs"; obviously this makes sense, but if someone is doing this so that
  > we can get magit into Emacs or ELPA, then we need to know that also, so
  > we can work out when a new assignment happens which package (i.e. magit)
  > it has implications for.

We have had a system for this for a long time.

  > Say we have 200 contributors for magit, and 500 people with copyright
  > assignment for Emacs. New assignment comes in for Emacs, I now have to
  > check 200 magit contributors to see whether its one of them.

Since the assignment clerk knows which papers are for Magit,
he should be able to inform you of this directly.

  > It's also worth remembering here: copyright assignment works based on
  > peoples names, while the list of contributors for magit that I have is
  > based on their github names, or the email(s) that they used for their
  > git commits.

Doesn't the Magit repository record contributors' official names?

If not, I am sure we can arrange to tell the assignment clerk
each signer's email address and/or repository name,
and include that in the notification message to maintainers.

--
Dr Richard Stallman