Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 012487b: * lisp/display-line-numbers.el (displa

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 012487b: * lisp/display-line-numbers.el (display-line-numbers-type): Autoload it.
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 21:43:50 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 14:20:35 -0400
>
> >> Autoloading variables is a source of corner-case problems, and
> >> autoloading defcustoms even more so.
> > Emacs is full of corner-case problems, one more or one less won't
> > change anything.
>
> Of course, as maintainer you may choose to add yet-more corner case problems.
> But it does sound like an odd choice when there's a simple and standard
> solution that doesn't suffer from those.

I'd need first to better understand the problem and its proposed
solutions.  How can you expect me to make up my mind about this
without at least that much?  As of now, I don't understand well enough
the choice I have; without that, Michael's code looks to me as a
perfectly valid solution for a real problems, and I see no reason to
look for an alternative.