Re: Emacs 25.2, win64, env vars

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: Emacs 25.2, win64, env vars
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 17:20:34 -0400

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 4:34 PM, Fabrice Popineau
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> > I would even recommend that emacs inherits from the desktop environment,
>> > not the environment from the
>> > shell that was used to run emacs.
>>
>> I expect this to break quite a few legitimate use cases.
>

> Maybe (albeit I couldn't name them).

One (somewhat hypothetical) example would be a bat file which sets up
a portable HOME before starting emacs.

Personally, I find it useful for testing to do 'set
HOME=C:/tmp/whatever' in certain situations. Having to set the global
desktop environment for this would be a pain.

> My opinion (but I may well be alone)  is that Emacs/win32 fiddles too much
> with those unix-like environments.
> This works most of the time, but it also sometimes creates surprising
> situations.

Using the "desktop environment" in preference to the shell environment
would create more surprise for me. Do any other applications do this?