Re: DBus binding & direct connections (p2p)?

From: Nicolas Petton
Subject: Re: DBus binding & direct connections (p2p)?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 10:28:09 +0200

Hi Michael,

> The Java D-Bus bindings offer the interface
> org.freedesktop.dbus.DirectConnection, which "Handles a peer to peer
> connection between two applications withou a bus daemon.". See
> <https://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-java/api/org/freedesktop/dbus/DirectConnection.html>.
>  Likely
> this is what you've asked for; it isn't implemented in the Emacs
> bindings.

That's exactly what I meant.  Some applications communicate through
dbus, using peer-to-peer communications, without using a bus.

The Python binding allows for direct connections to be open like the
following (TCP in this example):

    import dbus;
    conn = dbus.connection.Connection("tcp:host=localhost,port=1234")

I think that calling `dbus_connection_open' with a dbus address would be
enough to support direct connections in the Emacs binding (but I might
be wrong).

Cheers,
Nico