Re: Why does make run git?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Why does make run git?
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 10:56:53 -0700

On 08/02/2017 10:26 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:
But it is unreliable.  You can't rely on the user's having done 'make'
in the repository before doing the git operations that use these
settings.

You can pretty much rely on users running either Make or ./autogen.sh; otherwise they can't easily build or run Emacs. So the main problem here is ./autogen.sh.

Although last year I arranged for ./autogen.sh (when invoked with no arguments) to do Git settings like Make does, some other developers objected at the time that this might conflict with their own Git settings so I changed autogen.sh to not alter Git settings except on explicit request. Given the confusion on this topic on the meantime, though, I think the change was mistaken, and in that sense I believe that you and I are in agreement.

To help improve the situation I propose the attached patch, which reverts the default ./autogen.sh behavior to be './autogen.sh all', the way it used to be (briefly). Developers who want autogen.sh to leave their Git settings alone can continue to use './autogen.sh autoconf'.