RE: [RFC] Do indent-region only on editable buffers

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [RFC] Do indent-region only on editable buffers
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 10:46:57 -0700 (PDT)

> - Are there any objections to doing the buffer read-only check before
>   doing the indent?

Dunno what the right approach/solution is in this particular case.

But note that we don't do what you suggest in general - we don't do it
for most other editing operations: insert or delete a character, yank
a string, kill the region,...  Instead, we let an error be raised,
telling the user that the buffer is read-only.