Re: Help getting started debugging Emacs on macOS Sierra

From: Tino Calancha
Subject: Re: Help getting started debugging Emacs on macOS Sierra
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 20:46:25 +0900 (JST)

On Fri, 11 Aug 2017, Itai Berli wrote:

However, now I get the
following complaint from gdb:

> No executable file specified.
> Use the "file" or "exec-file" command.
That means, gdb doesn't know which program to debug.

Here's the complete contents of the *gud* buffer.

Current directory is ~/
No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
Make breakpoint pending on future shared library load? (y or [n]) y
Breakpoint 1 (main) pending.
(gdb) r
Starting program:
No executable file specified.
Use the "file" or "exec-file" command.
Assuming your executable is at:
~/emacs/src/bootstrap-emacs
you can do in the gdb command line:
file ~/emacs/src/bootstrap-emacs

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Itai Berli <address@hidden> wrote:
      By the way, the *gud* buffer's first line is
> Current directory is ~/

However, the Emacs source code is in ~/emacs. Maybe this is the problem? But I
started Emacs from ~/emacs. How can I set
the *gud* buffer's current directory?
DUNNO why it doesn't starts at ~/emacs.
You can try from a terminal:
|> emacs ~/emacs/src
;; now call gdb
M-x gdb RET ; it should offer to debug 'bootstrap-emacs'