Re: [ELPA] New package: Captain (was [ELPA] New package: Auto Capitalize

From: Ian Dunn
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: Captain (was [ELPA] New package: Auto Capitalize Mode)
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2017 15:23:20 -0400

    >> I agree that having two packages that provide
    >> "auto-capitalize-mode" will be confusing to users.

    Stefan> Unless one of them is abandoned and the other can be
    Stefan> considered as a newer version (no idea if it's the case,
    Stefan> here).

I don't know for sure that the old one's abandoned, although it looks
like little has been done on it in the past few years.  That could be
because it was determined to be in a stable state, or it could be
because it's been abandoned.

In any case, I've chosen to rename the package and add two new features
to it to mostly match what the old package did.

Specifically, I added the ability to capitalize a word once and have it
automatically capitalized in the future, and the ability to capitalize
the current sentence using the function it was already using to find the
start of the sentence.  The latter is implemented to open the
possibility of capitalizing yanked text in the future, a feature of the
old package, although I see no need for it right now.

I also mention the old package in the commentary, in case other users
may want to try it instead.

Ian Dunn