Re: Hotfixing older Emacsen? Was: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 25.3 released

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Hotfixing older Emacsen? Was: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 25.3 released
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 07:38:36 -0400

>> > Crazy though: why don't we hot-patch existing Emacs installations?
>> > Concretely, that would mean including that fix in a widely used ELPA
>> > or MELPA package. Then users would get the fix upon the next update.
>> This verges on a universal back door, aka "auto-upgrade"
>> which is a form of malware normally found in proprietary software.
> What if the user was asked for a confirmation before upgrading?
> Would that be a good solution?

I think fixes should be in a separate package.
If we really feel it's necessary, we could consider adding some code to
some unrelated popular package which could do something like:
- look for known bugs (fixed in security-patches)
- if found some, tell the user, suggesting to install the
  security-patches package

-- Stefan