Re: Please help get ready for proofreading of Emacs manual

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Please help get ready for proofreading of Emacs manual
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 22:10:36 +0200

On 2017-09-18, at 20:53, Charles A. Roelli <address@hidden> wrote:

> Here's a start, based on a recent build of the Emacs manual (644
> pages).  "LONG" parts may still be further split, "SHORT" parts
> combined.

I could take one of the "Long" parts.  (I'd like especially to do part
15, since I edit documents in natural languages in Emacs _a lot_, but
part 16 would also be nice - I also happen to be a programmer.)

While I am fairly busy now, this is kind of work I do like a lot and
I will gladly do it in my spare time.  (Also, I've been doing
proofreading professionally for a journal for about 10 years now, though
not in English.)  I'd consider it also a way to give back to the Emacs
devs for the great work they have been doing for the last four decades.

What I absolutely _must_ know beforehand, though, is:

1. How much time do I have for this task.

2. What exactly should I pay attention to?  I assume that the most
important things to look for are parts which are impreciseor difficult
to understand, not ordinary typos.  But: should I check factual
correctness (for instance, whether the keys given really do correspond
to the command names in emacs -Q, or whether there are no mistakes in
command names)?  (I assume yes.)  Is there anything else?

3. In what format I should submit my corrections?  (A simple diff/patch
might not be enough, since I might have a suggestion which may be
controversial and hence should be discussed.  How would I mark such
places?)

I think these questions are relevant to other proofreaders, too.

Best,

and I'm really looking forward to this job.

--
Marcin Borkowski