Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 20:54:47 +0000

Hello, John

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 11:30:35 -0700, John Wiegley wrote:

> > Can we please have a user option in Emacs 26 to disable curly quote
> > translation in messages and doc strings? I am (more than) willing to
> > implement and document this, and could do so quickly.

> Hi Alan, can you prepare this patch for us, including additions to NEWS and
> the manual? I'd like to get it into the emacs-26 branch soonish. Eli and I
> discussed offline, and while it's still technically premature, I have a strong
> wish to see it happen anyway.

Thanks for this!

I have pushed a first draught into the new branch
scratch/customize-quotes.  Comments would be welcome.

One thing which I hope isn't too controversial, is that I have redefined
the value of nil in text-quoting-style to mean "no translation of
quotes" and introduced t to mean "prefer curved quotes", the meaning nil
previously had.  The default value for text-quoting-style remains
"prefer curved quotes".

My reasoning here was that having nil meaning "do nothing" is
intrinsically the Right Thing.  Also very few people, if any, will
already have explicitly set the variable to nil.  And in any case, the
use of the variable was restricted to experts, all of whom will be able
to adapt to the new nil and t without difficulty.

@Richard: I have described the fact that translation of ASCII quote
characters takes place on the page "Text Display" in the Emacs manual,
as you suggested.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).