Re: About curly quotes (again) [Was: Emacs 26.1 release branch created]

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: About curly quotes (again) [Was: Emacs 26.1 release branch created]
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 21:40:03 +0200

On 2017-09-23, at 14:14, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

>> From: Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2017 13:18:25 +0200
>> Cc: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>, John Wiegley <address@hidden>,
>>      Emacs developers <address@hidden>,
>>      Kaushal Modi <address@hidden>,
>>      Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>>

>> > FYI, the curly quotes in info are produced by makeinfo, not Emacs, so
>> > text-quoting-style will not affect them. If you use makeinfo 4.13 then
>> > you won't get them. Also note this entry in NEWS.25:
>> >
>> >     *** 'isearch' and 'query-replace' can now perform character
>> > folding[...]
>> >     For instance, the ASCII double quote character " will match all
>> >     variants of double quotes[...]
>> >     Character folding is enabled by customizing 'search-default-mode' to
>> >     the value 'char-fold-to-regexp'.  You can also toggle character
>> >     folding in the middle of a search by typing 'M-s ''.
>>
>> Thanks, I'll check it.
>>
>> Still, the _default_ behavior is broken here.
>
> If it's broken, it isn't broken by Emacs, right?

Kind of.  If TeXinfo's default is now to use curly braces, can't it be
switched off?  I did not use TeXinfo myself - it must have been the
Emacs' makefile who did this.  If Emacs' makefile orders TeXinfo to use
borked quotes, Emacs itself should turn isearch folding so that I'm able
to look for them in Info buffers, no?  It's a matter of consistency,
isn't it?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski