Re: Make mode-line number display consistent when both line and col numb

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Make mode-line number display consistent when both line and col numbers are shown.
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 01:48:56 +0700

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 1:30 AM, Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> wrote:

> I agree, it's simple and clearer -- no commas, no parentheses, no guesswork.

I, for one, do not see the value in either letters or parentheses. For
me, they are visual noise. Letters more so than parentheses, as they
are more similar to digits.

There is no ambiguity between line and column number. Line, as the
most significant item, obviously goes to the left, while the least
significant column goes to the right. Same as hundreds:tens:ones. Same
as /home/myuser/mydir/myfile. Same as year-month-day
hour:minute:second. (Contrary to site.domain.tld though.)

I customize my modeline to display them as nnn:nn.

(My two roubles in this bikeshedding contest.)