Re: Emacs26: Quick thoughts on display-line-numbers-mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs26: Quick thoughts on display-line-numbers-mode
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 16:06:21 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 08:37:37 -0400
>
> >> If I understand the problem correctly, since orientation depends on
> >> paragraph, does that mean line numbers could be on different sides in the
> >> same window?
> > Yes.  You can see that in action if you visit TUTORIAL.he with
> > display-line-numbers-mode turned on.
>
> Oh, wow, I hadn't realized that.  Is that the generally expected behavior?

I don't know.  It doesn't strike me as blatantly wrong, to give you
just one data point.  I guess we will have to hear more from users.
In general, buffers with changing paragraph direction are quite rare,
btw.

> As a naive user who can't read any R2L scripts, I find this very
> unexpected.  I'd have expected/wanted instead the line numbers to always
> be on the same side for a given window (tho I admit that I'm not sure
> how to turn this rule into an implementable behavior, except maybe by
> letting the user decide globally whether line numbers should be on the
> left or the right).

Currently, the only way of doing that is set bidi-paragraph-direction
to a non-nil value.

> But again, I'm just a very naive user who's never bothered by the
> current behavior because he never faces such situations anyway.

Thanks, noted.