Re: Emacs on QNX

From: Elad Lahav
Subject: Re: Emacs on QNX
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 11:27:55 +0000

Hi Paul,

> Which part of the Emacs code is that? Is this the call in
> src/unexelf.c? If so,
> I can fix that.
Yes, it's the call in unexelf.c. It ended up with a huge value for the
break point, and the dump only stopped when it filled up the disk...

> Does the attached patch work for you instead?
Not out of the box, but I'll see if I can make it work. The hybrid
malloc certainly looks like the right direction.

> Could you fill us on on what __NO_EXT_QNX does? The symbol I see
> mentioned in
> public discussions is _QNX_SOURCE. What is the difference between
> those two
> symbols, and why is __NO_EXT_QNX preferable here? What happens if you
> leave it out?

There is a compilation flag called _EXT_QNX that is used by default and
causes symbols that are neither in ANSI C nor POSIX to be exposed by
header files. There are several such symbols in the QNX malloc.h header
that conflict with symbols in Emacs' gmalloc.c. Using __NO_EXT_QNX was
a quick'n'dirty way to avoid this conflict, but I am far from certain
that it is the best choice. I'll see if I can do better.

--Elad