Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 934a72c: User can specify files never subject t

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 934a72c: User can specify files never subject to flymake.
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2017 15:48:44 -0400

> * João Távora <address@hidden> [2017-11-03 18:50:27 +0000]:
>
> Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> * Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> [2017-11-02 16:59:23 -0400]:

>>> Hmm... indeed.  I guess the right thing depends on what's the use-case.
>>> Could you describe the kind of situation in which you need
>>> flymake-proc-ignored-file-name-regexps?
>>
>> I have files scratch.py which are somewhat like a poor man's notebook,
>> with random snippets of code which persist from session to session.
>> flymake using pylint will flag most lines in such files.
>>
>> So I have this in my .emacs:
>>
>> (eval-when-compile (defvar flymake-proc-ignored-file-name-regexps))
>> (eval-after-load "flymake"
>>   '(add-to-list 'flymake-proc-ignored-file-name-regexps '"/scratch"))
>
> [Curious, why do you the defvar? Is the FORM of eval-after-load
> byte-compiled?]

Yes.

> Such a facility to disable flymake could be in flymake.el, but perhaps
> it is better if it was already elsewhere in Emacs.

I am not prepared to argue over this, especially since it appears that
Stefan is not particularly happy about the change either.

Basically, elpy enables flymake everywhere and adding

# Local Variables:
# flymake-mode: nil
# End:

to every scratch pad is ugly and _does not work_.

Thanks.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1504
http://steingoldpsychology.com http://www.childpsy.net http://no2bds.org