RE: windows installer

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: windows installer
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2017 13:43:08 -0800 (PST)

> > >  I suggest we instead use the user's profile folder. From an initial
> > >  probe, this can be found in at least the following
> > >  environment-variables on my Windows 10 test-machine: USERPROFILE (or
> > >  by concatenating HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH ).
> >
> > I'll fix this.
>
> Just to make this more complex: the Windows platform conventions frown
> upon installing stuff in that directory; you are supposed to create a
> subdirectory and install there.
>
> And programs should not end up there, they should be under
> %ProgramFiles% instead.  The user's directory is for files, not for
> programs.
>
> > I'm presuming most people will not add it to the path, but launch it
> > from the shortcut that the installation adds.
>
> They _will_ want to add it to PATH if they want to install packages
> from the likes of ELPA, which frequently come with Makefiles that
> invoke Emacs to compile the Lisp files.

I haven't been following this thread.  But I was hoping that
one thing that would come out of it is push-button building
of Emacs for Windows.  I was hoping too that the result would
be (could be, at least) what we get now: a build complete with
binary executables and Lisp source code - but without any
"installation" into Program Files etc being necessary (i.e.,
hard-coded).

I, for one, am not interested in "installing" any Emacs build
(Program Files etc.).  I use multiple builds from different
releases.  I don't even want anything added, by default, to
PATH.

But an easy way to build Emacs for Windows - essentially
push-button, specifying only an output directory and optionally
other things that might be relevant - would be welcome.