Re: poplife-mode

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: poplife-mode
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 02:17:14 +0700

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 12:47 AM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Is it a good idea to invent a UI that is unlike anything out there in
>> any other GUI application, at least AFAIK?  Last time Emacs did that
>> there was no other app around, but not so nowadays...
>
> AFAIK "long click brings up a context menu" was used in macOS some years
> ago (no idea if it is still used), so it's not a completely new idea.

Also, on mobile devices (starting at least as far back as Pocket PC
around 2002), as a poor man’s substitute for secondary mouse button
click. Inefficient as hell, since instead of just clicking a button
you have to hold your finger until the timeout elapses and watch the
little ring around your cursor fill.

> The only existing standard I know for context menus is to use mouse-3,
> but that clashes with existing Emacs behavior.  Of course, we could
> simply drop that existing Emacs behavior.

Those same applications that show a context menu on the secondary
mouse button click also select a region on Shift+primary click.

Emacs as is:

* <mouse-3> marks region, one more <mouse-3> at the same position kills it
* <S-mouse-1> pops up buffer appearance menu

Emacs mimicking other applications could do this:

* <mouse-3> pops up context menu which includes buffer appearance as
part or submenu
* <S-mouse-1> marks region, one more <S-mouse-1> at the same position kills it