Re: Minibuffer positioned at a location other than the bottom of the fra

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Minibuffer positioned at a location other than the bottom of the frame?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 10:27:54 +0100

> Has any consideration been given to having the option of displaying the
> minibuffer window somewhere other than the bottom of the frame?

No, because ...

> For
> example, if I have a frame split horizontally with bufferA on top and
> bufferB at the bottom, and I do an isearch in bufferA, it might (arguably)
> be nice to have the minibuffer window appear below bufferA's mode line, as
> opposed to below bufferB's mode line.

... if you now decide to delete the window showing bufferA, where would
the minibuffer window move to?  Keeping the minibuffer window constantly
below a frame's selected window, for example, could be very annoying
because the window configuration would change continuously.  Moving it
to the window where a user interaction via the minibuffer is initiated
as well.  So ...

> moving a separate minibuffer frame to
> achieve something similar,

... seems indeed the only practicable way to do what you want.

martin