Re: when do we remove backward compatibility definitions?

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: when do we remove backward compatibility definitions?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 16:07:04 -0500

> * Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> [2017-11-21 22:36:16 +0200]:
>
>> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 12:18:41 -0800
>>
>> My attempt at writing a guideline for supporting obsolete Emacs
>> features is intended to be along similar lines. It is not meant to be
>> prescriptive and so I shouldn't have used the word "policy" to
>> describe it. It is merely meant as a common-sense guideline for when
>> Emacs features are so obsolete that they can be removed if that
>> simplifies maintenance.
>
> Sorry, I'm not interested in discussing abstract policies that have no
> specific problems behind them.  It's a waste of our time.

This is not so abstract.
Let us reformulate the question: if a developer wants to remove an
obsolete feature (function, variable, face &c) - for whatever reason -
how old does the feature has to be not to warrant a conversation on
emacs-devel?

Note that the cost of obsolete features is not 0 (although probably small).

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on darwin Ns 10.3.1504
http://steingoldpsychology.com http://www.childpsy.net