Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with co

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 23:09:00 +0000

Hi Alan,

On 11/30/17 9:46 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

Using narrowing for marking the bounds of a sub-mode is a bad thing,
since it is likely to cause contention with other uses of narrowing.

Please give an example.

It's not clear what is meant here,

To rephrase, don't widen in indent-line-function or beginning-of-defun-function.

but mandating maintainers of major
modes to use narrowing in a particular way is at best controversial, and
probably will render many major modes non-functional.

I don't see a reason why. Even more, it should be compatible with all uses of narrowing that I know about.

Narrowing belongs to users and major modes.

It can serve all.

I am lacking the context of
your post, which appears to start deep down in some mail thread which I
don't have, so I can't follow the details of your proposal.  But I would
appreciate you confirming that these proposals won't place any
constraints whatsoever on how users and major modes can use narrowing.

Please see http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-11/msg00691.html and http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-12/msg00796.html.

You can also understand me being a bit concerned at the reference to CC
Mode.  ;-)

You shouldn't be: CC Mode can just ignore this new rule, as long as it's too hard to support embedding it in multi-mode buffers.

- Multi-mode packages have been using narrowing for this purpose for
years, so they won't have to change much.

They have used narrowing because that is the only tool they have had.

The only other tool we have is also narrowing, semantically.