Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with co

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 22:45:04 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 13:03:05 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Indeed it can, and it must.  A super-mode thus may not "reserve"
> > narrowing for its own purposes to the exclusion of other uses.

> 99% of the multi-major-modes out there use narrowing for that purpose,
> and in practice it doesn't restrict other uses of narrowing.

If that were the case, there would be no restrictions on a major mode
widening and narrowing.  From what I understand about the new proposal,
your last paragraph is false.

By the way, what about that other 1% of multiple-major-modes?  How do
they work?

> I've opposed the use of narrowing for that in the past, but the evidence
> against that opposition is overwhelming.  Let's do that and move on.

No.  The evidence is that these modes can only work with specially
adapted major modes, and possibly that MMM code pollutes those major
modes.

> It's not perfect, but we've already looked much too long for a less
> imperfect solution.

I don't think that's the case.  My "syntactic islands" proposal was
never given proper consideration.  That was in last February.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).