Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with co

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 10:50:24 +0000

From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 23:24:28 +0000
Cc: Tom Tromey <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,
        Vitalie Spinu <address@hidden>, address@hidden

Like mentioned, for most major mode the changes are trivial, if at all
needed.

IMO, C modes and Lisp modes must be supported well, before this lands
on master.

Why? Web languages are a lot more common in mixed mode buffers (think HTML files and templates), so it's a lot more important to have that support in them (and we already do).

Lisp modes should work already too, because lisp-indent-line doesn't call widen.

And about C, first, it's much harder for different reasons, two, we'd have to spend more time convincing its author. And then we'd have to fix other MMM-related problems in it that the other mentioned modes don't have.

And, I'm sorry about this, but I want to land these changes in emacs-26, for one main reason: it simplifies, reworks and replaces the prog-indentation-context feature, which is not in Emacs 25.

At one point we/I removed it from Emacs 25 for reasons of being undercooked, but didn't merge that change to then-master. And then kind of forgot. https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=28475#11 was a later reminder.

This way, the "widen less" proposal could be considered a "bug fix", if we stretch the definition far enough. And also, the new approach is pretty small, it removes more code than adds.