Re: Problems with move_it_in_display_line_to X when tabs exist.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problems with move_it_in_display_line_to X when tabs exist.
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 18:26:04 +0200

> Date:  Sun, 03 Dec 2017 19:01:47 -0800
> From:  Keith David Bershatsky <address@hidden>
> Cc:  address@hidden
>
> I built Emacs 26 for Windows (using my modification patch) and ran the same
> series of tests along with taking a screen-shot at the link below.
> it.pixel_width is correct on Emacs 26 for Windows, whereas it.pixel_width is
> wrong on Emacs 26 for OSX 10.6.8.

I'm surprised you see a difference.  This code is supposed to be
platform independent.  So I guess you need to examine all the places
in xdisp.c which are "#ifded NS" or "#ifndef NS".

> it.what reports IT_CHARACTER on both platforms, however, I expected the
> result to be IT_STRETCH.

This is expected, and not a bug: IT_STRETCH means we are producing
stretch glyphs "out of thin air", this happens when processing 'space'
display properties and line-prefixes.  When we display a TAB, we
produce the stretch glyph from a TAB, which is a character.