Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Repla

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2017 16:00:13 -0500

>> AFAICT prog-widen doesn't look at the PREVIOUS-CHUNK part of
>> prog-indentation-context.
> But it looks at the other data in prog-indentation-context, and
> PREVIOUS-CHUNK, if it's a function, could store there something.
> Or a mode could use some other method to store the previous
> restriction directly in prog-indentation-context.  Right?

My point is that currently, I can only find 3 bytes of code which
do anything with PREVIOUS-CHUNK, it's in mhtml-mode.el where they do:

    (let ((prog-indentation-context (list base-indent
                                          (cons (point-min) nil)
                                          nil)))

where the last `nil` is actually the PREVIOUS-CHUNK (we could remove
that `nil` and it would make no difference, tho).
It really only exists in the docstring.

>> > If those calls are conditioned on MMM actually being active, then
>> > existing behavior will remain unchanged, and we are good.
>> How do you propose we detect when MMM is active?
> I don't know (didn't look at its sources close enough), but I'd be
> surprised if there wasn't some variable or some other method to tell.

I'd rather not hard code knowledge of mmm-mode as *the* MMM system.
Maybe we should just forget about this whole thing for emacs-26 and move
on to emacs-27.

        Stefan