Re: Any way to prevent window splits for a window or a major-mode

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Any way to prevent window splits for a window or a major-mode
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2017 09:53:38 +0100

> ​The Treemacs package displays a full-frame height window at
> the left of the frame that can be used to browse directories
> in an outline fashion.  It has some features that make it
> attractive at times beyond just using Dired (it also can be
> used in tandem with Dired).
>
> Treemacs uses treemacs-mode for its buffers.  So I want any
> window with a buffer in that mode to be non-splittable since
> it is narrow and it doesn't make sense to split it in either
> dimension.

You might consider two opportunities here: If the treemacs window is
"frame bound", then it's probably best to make it a side window so that
C-x 1 does not delete it and it does not become the sole window of the
frame.  If the treemacs window is "window bound" (so that two or more
treemacs windows may appear simultaneously on a frame), it might be
better to attach the treemacs window to some other "normal" window and
make these two windows atomic.

martin