Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with co

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 15:36:16 +0200

On 12/6/17 11:28 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

My point is that this aspect of the design should be discussed before we make
the code changes.

Let's go ahead and discuss it then?

Short overview:

- We have indentation functions that widen (some major modes), and indentation function that don't (where the authors didn't bother, or, in one place, where I personally removed it, from js-mode, after a MMM-related discussion).

- IME, whenever the question of narrowing comes up, it's usually from a user who wants command X to (save-restriction (widen) ...) before doing what it always did. Never to avoid calling widen, which makes sense from a perspective of a user who uses interactive narrowing.

Hence, it seems to make sense that indent-for-tab-command should always operate of a widened buffer.

Your turn.

> (I think this aspect is separate from the rest of MMM related discussions.)

Not exactly separate. My proposal hinges on it somewhat. In particular, on the idea that all major modes should be treated the same in this respect.