Re: Lifting all buffer restrictions in indentation functions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Lifting all buffer restrictions in indentation functions
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2017 10:24:55 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 15:47:44 -0500
>
> So it sounds highly hypothetical, and it's not clear if would be more
> often right or more often wrong in those hypothetical cases.

It _is_ hypothetical.  The question that bothers me is specifically
whether we should flatly disallow those hypothetical cases, just
because we "cannot imagine" them.  My experience with Emacs
development is that everything I thought was unimaginable someone
somewhere imagined it and wanted it to be possible, as long as that
made sense in their particular application.