Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Repla

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2017 09:56:47 -0800

EZ> And please keep in mind that 2 years without any additional users is not
EZ> long enough to prove that this feature is useless. Let's also keep in mind
EZ> that this feature was reviewed at the time and admitted into Emacs, which
EZ> means Stefan did think at least back then that it could be useful in
EZ> practice. We should give people a chance before deciding it is completely
EZ> useless and worthy of removal.

I agree with Eli here. It's very hard for any one person, with their own
particular way of using Emacs, and communication channels they pay attention
to, to know for certain what other people are using a feature for -- or if
they're using it at all. Lest we forget:

    https://xkcd.com/1172/

So unless there's a more compelling reason, like that it's getting in your
way, we'd need a stronger argument to reverse an agreed-upon decision that's
only 2 years old.