Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Repla

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 12:21:14 -0500

> I hope not.  I thought the goal of the branch was to allow Emacs
> better support MMM and similar modes, and that removing/replacing
> prog-indentation-context was just a means to that end.

There are may ways to be "better".  The claim is that using narrowing
instead of (nth 1 prog-indentation-context) will make mmm support
applicable in more circumstances because it reduces the amount of
changes needed in each major mode (in many cases the required changes
are reduced to nothing).

I don't think anybody claims that prog-indentation-context makes it
hard/impossible to get as good mmm-support as what Dmitry
is suggesting.

They are just 2 alternative (and mostly equivalent) ways to get the
same result.  One of the two requires changes to every major mode and
is currently only used by antlr+python.  The other is used by
mhtml-mode, mmm-mode and generally requires few if any changes to
major modes.  Also changing antlr+python to use the other approach is
easy and leads to marginally simpler code.

        Stefan