Re: [Emacs-diffs] master abd1825: Ensure that we can find definitions wh

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master abd1825: Ensure that we can find definitions when buffer is narrowed
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 17:11:29 +0200

On 12/11/17 10:23 PM, Charles A. Roelli wrote:

Thanks for fixing this.  If I may suggest it, it might also be useful
for these functions to respect `widen-automatically':

Probably not find-function-search-for-symbol though?

   widen-automatically is a variable defined in ‘simple.el’.
   Its value is t

   Documentation:
   Non-nil means it is ok for commands to call ‘widen’ when they want to.
   Some commands will do this in order to go to positions outside
   the current accessible part of the buffer.

   If ‘widen-automatically’ is nil, these commands will do something else
   as a fallback, and won’t change the buffer bounds.

I wonder if we're using this variable in all the places we should.

A recent, heated discussion comes to mind.