Re: RFC: Cross compiling Emacs with qemu-user

From: Mario Lang
Subject: Re: RFC: Cross compiling Emacs with qemu-user
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 22:03:02 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>  EMACS = ${top_builddir}/src/emacs
>> -emacs = EMACSLOADPATH= "${EMACS}" -batch --no-site-file --no-site-lisp
>> +emacs = EMACSLOADPATH= ${EMACS} -batch --no-site-file --no-site-lisp
>
> I'm not sure if Emacs can be built currently in a directory whose full
> name includes spaces, but it's something that *should* work.  The above
> would break it AFAICT, so we need some other solution.

Yeah, I am unhappy with this as well.  It just was the easiest way to
get what I needed.

>> +AC_ARG_WITH([emulator],[AS_HELP_STRING([--with-emulator=EMULATOR],
>> +    [Emulator to use when executing target binaries])],
>> +    EMULATOR="$withval"
>> +    AC_SUBST(EMULATOR))
>
> It'd be good to make the doc slightly more precise (i.e. clarify that
> it specifies an actual *command* rather than just which kind of
> emulator we want to use).

Sure.

>> -RUN_TEMACS = ./temacs
>> +RUN_TEMACS = temacs
>
> Why did you need to get rid of the "./"?  It's needed to tell the shell
> not to search through $PATH but in the cwd instead.

As mentioned in my original mail, qemu-user seems to have issues with
executable paths starting with ./ and ../. In particular, in these
cases, it doesn't find the elf loader for some reason.  Specifying a
relative path without leading ./ works.  I have not investigated further
so far.

>> -    $(MAKE) -C ../admin/unidata all EMACS="../$(bootstrap_exe)"
>> +    $(MAKE) -C ../admin/unidata all EMACS="$(EMULATOR) $(bootstrap_exe)"
>
> Hmm... how will $(EMULATOR) know to look in ../ ?

bootstrap_exe has been modified to use $(CURDIR) a little further up...

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕