Re: select-frame-set-input-focus fails to raise the frame

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: select-frame-set-input-focus fails to raise the frame
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 20:06:23 +0100

>> Take raise-frame for example.  Should we not expect
>> this to make the given frame the topmost?  The doc string says we
>> should.
>
> Martin will tell, but I personally am not sure we can rely on that,
> the doc string notwithstanding.

`raise-frame' should make a frame's window-system window the topmost one
in its z-group and any z-group beneath it.  It should not direct input
focus to that frame although many window managers and window systems may
do that automatically.  This should be no problem when the Emacs thread
already has input focus.  If, however, Emacs doesn't have focus, it
would try to steal focus from another application and many "modern"
window managers and window systems may prevent that.

So `raise-frame' works reliably when the frame is given input focus as
well - users of `minibuffer-auto-raise' should be able to confirm that.
Calling it twice in a row without intermittent user interaction, using
time to control its behavior, or calling it when Emacs doesn't already
have focus, however, usually means asking for trouble.

martin