Re: `emacs -nw', `framep' returning `t', `display-graphic-p' returning `

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: `emacs -nw', `framep' returning `t', `display-graphic-p' returning `nil'
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 19:02:31 +0100

Drew Adams writes:
> The problem exposed there is that, by default, library dired+.el
> binds key `M-S-o' (aka `M-O').  Apparently, when Emacs is used
> with some terminals, or in some terminal mode(s)?, that key
> sequence is sent by the arrow keys.  (On MS Windows, I don't
> see the problem using `emacs -nw', but I don't claim that's
> the case for all users.)

The windows console will use these Esc-O sequences for arrow keys when in
"application mode", otherwise it uses Esce-[ ("normal mode").  Note
that some of the function keys also use the Esc-O prefix, while on an
ANSI terminal that has multiple character sets it would switch to the
third shift layer IIRC.

> I was thinking that when `display-graphic-p' is non-nil the
> problem wouldn't exist.  But apparently at least one user has
> the problem even though `display-graphic-p' returns non-nil.

I would interpret that to mean the display is graphics capable, but the
selected frame still runs on a terminal emulation.  I think that might
happen if you connect from a terminal based emacsclient to an emacs
server that runs on a graphical display.

Regards,
Achim.