Re: A couple of things that I think should be in byte bytecode meta comm

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: A couple of things that I think should be in byte bytecode meta comments
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 10:32:28 -0500

On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 3:44 AM, Rocky Bernstein <address@hidden> wrote:

Path names give you good places to start looking for the file.

And often they can quickly give information as to what's up, e.g. I am running  from the stable or development branch. Or running from an Ubuntu build or a source-code build.

​If you are actually running a branch of Emacs and using a .elc file included therein, then ​your load-path should be configured to take you to the proper associated source file with the find-library command, unless filenames are duplicated within the lisp tree.  Only uses outside of that, i.e. working on files outside of the branch you are running, would this be an issue, I would think, or if there ever is a bundled format of .elc that combines the byte-compiled output of multiple files.

If anything of this nature is ever done, it should be based on the source file's default installed location relative to the Emacs root directory for portability.  Any reasonable function/tool could then find the source file.

Bob