Re: The name gnus-cloud.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: The name gnus-cloud.el
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 18:54:58 +0200

> From: Steinar Bang <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 17:27:26 +0100
>
> > I don't like renaming files because that makes some VCS commands fail
> > or work less efficiently, and makes forensics much harder and less
> > convenient.
>
> git itself handles history tracking across renames if the first commit
> with the new name has the exact same sha1 hash.

It does that erratically.  E.g., try displaying history of changes of
a portion of a file with "git log -L", in a file that was moved (files
under subdirectories of doc/ or good examples), and you see it stop at
the rename.  Same with "git annotate", AFAIR.  These are important
forensic tools, and when they hit the brick wall of the rename,
finding a way of jumping over that wall and continuing whatever
investigation you are doing is not easy, sometimes impossible.  E.g.,
I don't know how to cross that line with "git log -L".

> Annotate, ie. 'C-x v g' will show changes from across the rename

It does?  That's not what I see, e.g., with doc/lispref/display.texi:
it never shows anything before 2007-09-06, when the file was moved.
What am I missing?