Re: Any interest in an XOAUTH2 patch for smtpmail (Gmail 2-factor auth)?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Any interest in an XOAUTH2 patch for smtpmail (Gmail 2-factor auth)?
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2018 17:13:13 +1100

I think this would be an excellent extension as it should mean you won't need to use the 'application' passwords hack, which sort of undermines 2fa configs anyway.

On 6 January 2018 at 16:32, John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

CC> I recently had to add XOAUTH2 support in smtpmail to access my two-factor
CC> authenticated Gmail account, which turned out to be surprisingly simple
CC> (my hack has about 20 lines of code, I guess it would about double to do
CC> it properly).

CC> It uses oauth2.el, so my plan would be to make smtpmail load that library
CC> on demand, in case the new smtpmail-xoauth2 variables are configured. I
CC> guess the required functionality could be copy-and-pasted, but that seems
CC> a waste.

CC> Is there any interest in a patch?

This sounds useful to me. How will users know to enable the extra behavior?

--
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2

--
regards,

Tim