Re: About the removal of pinentry.el

From: Nicolas Petton
Subject: Re: About the removal of pinentry.el
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 17:06:31 +0100

Daiki Ueno <address@hidden> writes:

> It still works, but I don't think it's useful today, given that
> epa-pinentry-mode 'loopback exists.

It is at least really useful to me :-)  I'm calling gpg outside of Emacs
a lot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but setting epa-pinentry-mode to 'loopback
won't have any effect if I evaluate:

  (shell-command-to-string "echo 'foo' | gpg -s")

> I would suggest the GnuPG upstream to drop pinentry-emacs and any
> support for it in GnuPG itself.

That'd be a shame IMO, I use pinentry-emacs daily.

> Nevertheless, I admit I misremembered as if the package was added in
> Emacs 26; it's was actually added in 25.  So it might be safer to
> restore it under obsolete, although it is also available on ELPA:
> http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/pinentry.html

Is the ELPA version the same as the one in Emacs?

Nico