Re: [conversion fails]

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: [conversion fails]
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 19:21:35 -0500

Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:

>    > Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>    > Yup.  This version seems to do the trick, though:
>
> WOW, that works like CHARM,
>

> Thanks a lot a lot. I run more test, most of the test files I have and
> everything seems flawless. That is simply great. I am really grateful.
> I could never ever have come up with something like this.
>
> Honestly I think that should be part of quail.
>

>    > I'll work on the inverse function in a bit.
>
> That would also be great!

Here you go.  I've included both, because this accentuate-region is an
improvement on the last one, especially if an error happens during
mid-translation.

(defun accentuate-region (start end)
  "Replace the region by using it as keys using the current input method"
  (interactive "r")
  (save-mark-and-excursion
    (when (< (mark) (point)) (exchange-point-and-mark))
    (let ((tend (1+ (point))) def)
      (while (<= tend (mark))
        (let* ((candx (buffer-substring (point) tend))
               (mapx (quail-lookup-key candx))
               (defx (and mapx (quail-map-definition mapx))))
          (if (null mapx)
              (progn
                (if def
                    (let* ((end (1- tend)) (len (- end (point))))
                      (delete-region (point) end)
                      (insert (quail-get-current-str len def))
                      (setq tend (point)))
                  (forward-char))
                (setq def nil))
            (if (and defx (null (cdr mapx)))
                (progn
                  (delete-region (point) tend)
                  (insert (quail-get-current-str (length candx) defx))
                  (setq def nil tend (point)))
              (setq def defx)))
          (incf tend)))
      (when def
        (let ((len (- (mark) (point))))
          (delete-region (point) (mark))
          (insert (quail-get-current-str (- (mark) (point)) def)))))))

(defun unaccentuate-region (start end)
  "Perform the reverse operation of typing in the current input method.
Replace the region with the keys used to type that text using the
current input method"
  (interactive "r")
  (save-mark-and-excursion
    (when (< (mark) (point)) (exchange-point-and-mark))
    (while (< (point) (mark))
      (condition-case nil
          (let ((keys (quail-find-key (following-char))))
            (if (consp keys)
                (progn (delete-char 1) (insert (car keys)))
              (forward-char)))))))

Sadly, I can't add these to quail, since it is too difficult to get a
copyright disclaimer from my place of work.  (It can be done, but has to
be done separately for every bit of code I contribute.)  Also, Handa-san
would almost certainly be able to write better versions than these that
can exploit the non-public interfaces in quail.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)