Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 17:07:29 -0800

On 02/15/2018 04:47 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
On 02/15/2018 03:34 PM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
I do wonder whether it makes sense to try to copy the dump into the Emacs executable itself instead of leaving it as a separate file.

I like this idea.

A simpler approach would be to just concatenate the dump to temacs, then add a special header with a signature and a dump length. On startup, Emacs could open itself, seek to the end of the file, look for the signature, and if it's present, back up to the start of the dump and proceed exactly as pdumper does now. This way, there's no overwriting stuff in the middle of the file and we don't waste disk space on a big data section we'll only partially use.