Re: emacs-26: `with-eval-after-load' docstring omission

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: emacs-26: `with-eval-after-load' docstring omission
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 09:53:09 -0500

On 2018-02-27 15:58, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>     (defun FUN () EXP)
>     (eval-after-load FILE '(FUN))
>
>     (eval-after-load FILE 'EXP)
>
> [ Well, of course, this equivalence is actually true as well given the
>   current compiler-macro, but I'm assuming above that we undo this
>   compiler macro.  ]
>
> IOW, the behavior you seem to want is semantically a good bit more messy.

Is that because macroexpansion happens eagerly in the body of the defun, too?
I guess I just don't expect that to happen unless the file is byte-compiled,
really :/

> In your case, you do want the quote because you need to delay
> macro-expansion, but I think it's cleaner to solve this problem by
> *explicitly* using a quote, rather than by relying on the messy
> semantics of the macro/function you happen to be using.

I'm not sure I follow: doesn't the compiler macro mean that even explicitly
using a quote isn't enough?

> E.g. your exact same problem could show up if you used, say,
>     (add-hook 'flycheck-mode-hook ...)
> instead of
>     (with-eval-after-load ...)
> but you wouldn't ask for a change in add-hook to "solve" your problem.

Would the problem there be that the body of the lambda I'd pass to add-hook
would be eagerly macro-expanded?
I think the big difference between these two is that I expect
`with-eval-after-load` to really behave differently, and the reason for
expecting that is that we don't otherwise have a convenient way to delay
macroexpansion and execution of a form until a file is loaded, right?

Maybe we need a `with-macroexp-and-eval-after-load`?

Clément.